Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I left after an hour or so, just when Anna was feeling better and realizing she was better off without the jerk.
I punched in a few numbers.
“Army, hey.”
“Hey Creech, what’s up?”
“Danny broke up with Anna.”
“He was such a douche, but I imagine she’s pretty upset.”
“She is. But I realized something.”
“What is it? That you realized what a good guy you have in me as a roomie? Sorry buddy, I don’t swing that way.”
“I’m in love with her.”
“Welcome to two years ago, Siddo. We all knew it.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, dumbass. You wasted so much time.”

I hung up with Army a few minutes later. I drove home, and felt strangely at peace. Now all was right with the world.
The next morning, Anna texted me to let me know she was alive, and going away with her girlfriends for the weekend. She also thanked me: “You are the best – always there when I need you. Thanks for everything.”

I called Jake, who was at work, but agreed to meet me for lunch.
“Is this about Anna and Danny? I’m gathering a team to go beat the shit out of him. You want in?” Jake said, when I arrived at Shep’s.
“I better not. Injured and all. But I’ll be there in spirit- I hate that fucker.”
“You, me, and everyone else. But what’s up?”
“This is kind of awkward, because you’re her brother but –“
He cut me off. “You’re in love with my baby sister.”
“Yeah.”
“Guy, what has taken you so long? You two are idiots.”
“I know. We wasted a lot of time.”
“Nah. Sometimes it’s necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.”
“Whoa. Philosopher Jacob.”
“My dad’s a philosopher, I pick a few things up.”
“So what you mean is…it’ll work out?”
“If it’s meant to, yeah buddy. It will.”
“Do you think she feels the same?”
“That, I have no idea. No idea at all. I know she adores you, but beyond that, I have no clue. You’ll just have to tell her how you feel. See what happens.”
“I’ll do it when she gets back this weekend.”
Jake shook his head, “No. I know my little sister. She needs more time. At least a month.”
“A month? Jake, you don’t understand. Now that I know what I know, now that I have realized it, I don’t want to waste any more time.”
“Oh Sid,” Jake said, signaling for the check, “I know how you feel, man. But she’s not going to be ready for anything for a while. She needs to work out her own feelings and how to get it over this bastard.”
I sighed, “You’re probably right.”
He grinned, “I am. I know women.”
“Oh really?” I said, chuckling.
“Yeah. I’m proposing to Amy soon.” Amy was his main squeeze for the past three and a half years.
“Oh shit! That’s awesome. Congratulations man. That’s terrific.” I shook his hand as we rose.
“Thanks. No one else knows but my dad and brothers, so keep quiet, Crosby!”
“Don’t worry.”


April 2008
Anna’s point of view


Ah. I’m so much better without Dan. I’m just enjoying my single girl time! I’m soaking up time with my best friends, family and focusing on school. That bastard deserves no more of my time. The idiot wouldn’t even listen to my side of the story. Who does that? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? And I was guilty of nothing. Sidney was my best friend. Nothing more. Danny had no reason to be jealous or worry about our relationship. But I don’t care anymore. I’m so much better off without his constant complaining. And the media says Sidney whines too much! Jeez!

I was driving out to have lunch with Amy, who was soon to be my new sister-in-law! Jake proposed!!!!

“Hey pretty girl!” I said, giving her a hug.
“Look at you. You look great!” Amy said.
We sat down, I gushed over her ring a few more times before we ordered slices of pie and coffee.
“I should be on a wedding diet,” Amy remarked.
“Oh please. You have over a year! You have a great figure, anyway. Bitch,” I said, teasing.
We talked about tentative wedding plans for a little, before Amy brought it up.
“So have you heard from Danny?”
“No, and it will be good if I never do again.”
“Good. I agree. I just wanted to make sure you weren’t calling him or anything.”
“Oh hell no.”
“So are you dating?”
“Nah, not really. Enjoying my single girlhood.”
“There you go. Have you talked to Sidney?”
Odd transition. “Yeah, but he’s right in the midst of the play-off race. He’s busy. I’ve been at games, that’s the only time I really see him.”
“Is there anything there with him? Anything romantic, Anna?”
I stared at her. “Sidney? No way. We’re good friends, that’s it.”
“Are you sure?”
“Amy, yes I’m sure. Sidney’s not my type.”
“Really? How do you know this, wise one?”
I shrugged, uncomfortable with the topic.
“Sidney is a really good guy, Anna. I don't want you to rule out anything. Sometimes, when you look at him, I notice....."
I jerked my head up, "Notice what?"
Amy blushed, "Nothing. Just don't rule anything out."

As I drove home, I thought about what she said. Sidney? I had never seen him in a romantic light. He was just Famous Amos, my buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment