Wednesday, September 9, 2009

January 2008

January 2008

Sidney’s point of view

The day after Anna had driven me to my appointment, I was lounging, lifting weights while watching SportsCenter when my phone rang.
“What’s up, brat?” I said, when I saw who it was.
I heard heavy breathing and then a sob broke over the line. “Sid?”
“Anna? What’s wrong, baby?”
“Dan broke up with me.”
“I’m on my way.”

I raced down to the garage and sped off to her apartment. I found her there, curled on the couch.
My heart broke when I saw her, and I dropped onto the couch and collected her in my arms in a giant embrace.
“He didn’t know where I was yesterday, and flipped out when he found out I was with you. He doesn’t like you or trust you, so he thought I was sneaking off to be with you. He accused me of cheating,” she whispered.
“He’s a dickhead.” I said firmly.
“No, Sid, I loved him,” she wailed, she went on. “But he didn’t even listen to me! He didn’t listen to anything I had to say.”
“That’s not fair. You deserve better.”
“I didn’t do anything wrong!” She said, getting angry.
“I know. He’s an ass.”
She shook her head, silent, as tears fell again.

I looked down at her. She was so upset, yet so angry. It pained me to see her like this. Danny Boy was such an ass. How could he reject such a beautiful girl? Did he not see how lucky he was? What kind of dickhead would cause harm to such an incredible person who did not have a mean bone in her body? Who was the friendliest, smartest, funniest, goofiest, most magnetic, most selfless girl that I knew? Who could make me smile just by walking into the room? Who charmed even my stonecold dad, who distrusted most girls my age? I looked down at her, full of anger at Danny Dumb Dick, and something else. Full of…love.
My heart started pounding. Everything fell into place. It made sense now. Why I was so disinterested in other girls after the second date. Why Danny irked me so much, his recent antics aside.

I was in love with Anna.

I had been from the day I met her. I’d just been to blind to see it. Too stubborn. Too naive. And I knew now that I wouldn’t have to look any further than what was lying in my arms on this dirty couch.
“Sid, thanks for being here, but .. don’t leave just yet.”
“Not me, I’m not going anywhere.”
Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment