Wednesday, September 9, 2009

July 2007.

Sidney Crosby’s point-of-view- July 2007

I’m an aunt!!!! Paige Mackenzie was born at 2:13 AM, 8 lbs, 2 oz, 21 ½ inches of pure gorgeousness and sweetness! So very happy!!!!!!!

I read this text message and smiled and sent back a congratulatory reply to Anna. I then called a Pittsburgh florist and ordered a huge pink bouquet sent to Mike and Stacey’s hospital room. The whole Kirschner clan was probably over the moon.
“Who are you texting?” Chris Gaughran, my oldest buddy, said, as we plopped our stuff down on the deck to get ready for a day of fishing.
“Anna.”
“Am I ever going to meet this chick?”
“Why would you want to meet her?”
“Umm, because you always talk about her, talk to her, and she’s hot?’
“We’re just friends. Nothing too exciting, man.”
“Yeah, that’s what they all say, bro. You’re telling me you haven’t banged her?”
“That’s what I’m telling you.”
Chris shook his head, “Unreal.”
“Will it ever happen?”
“Nah. She’s got her own boy toy thing going on.”
“Really? You jealous?”
“No, but he sounds like such a prick. She can do so much better.”
“Awwwwww,” the mockery in Chris’ voice was evident, “You do care.”
“She’s a friend.”
“You wish it was you.”
“No.”
“You do, and listen to me. We’re 19. We’re at the prime of our life. Don’t let this girl consume you. Let her be with her prick. Don’t worry about it. There’s a lot more fish in the sea,” and with that, Chris picked up his fishing rod and threw it into the sea. I did the same.

Anna’s point of view- August 2007

I weaved my way through the terminal, so excited to be back on Pittsburgh soil with my new tan and a new love. I don’t even care how cheesy that sounds. I’d just gotten back from my dream California vacation with Danny. It was amazing. We were officially a couple. Beautiful sunsets, beautiful people, beautiful places. But it wasn’t Pittsburgh- which will always be my first love.
I was ecstatic when I saw my dad there to pick me up, and gave him a big hug. “I’m so glad you’re home, sweetheart.”
“Oh, I’m glad to be home.”
“I have so many new pictures of Paige to show you.”

I’d talked to Sidney a lot through the summer and had found a funky surfer’s necklace to give to him. He seemed skeptical of Danny, but he would get over it, I’m sure. Danny would win him over. How could he not?

January 2008

Things with Danny were great. He was so sweet. He told me he was in love with me, and he didn’t even care that I didn’t say it back to him for a while. We spent every waking minute together. My friends gushed over how attentive and loving he was, and how good we looked together.
He got along great with my friends. My brothers were hesitant about this new guy, my mom was ready to make him a son-in-law and Sidney was a pain in Danny’s ass.

“I just don’t trust him,” he said, while I pleaded that Sidney was one of my best friends, and I’d trust him with my life. But Sidney had just recently gotten injured with a high-ankle sprain, and I felt at this time he’d need me more than ever. I was driving him to his appointment tomorrow, but neglected to tell Danny this.

“Hey Amos,” I said. My dad had started to calling Sidney “Famous Amos”, and I adopted to shortening it in variations: ‘Amsley’ or ‘Amsley snickerdoodle’ was a favorite I liked to whip out, especially when he was with a girl. Like any good nickname, I didn’t know where in my brain I pulled it from.
“Hey Pita,” he responded, his own nickname for me which stood for ‘Pain In The Ass.’
I looked over at him, giggling, and he started laughing back.
“Go, James,” he instructed in a totally ridiculous accent.
“How’s it feeling today?”
“Fine. Let’s not talk about it.”
That was something I learned early on with Sidney, when he didn’t want to deal with it- we were not to talk about it.
We pulled into his physical therapist’ office and he said, “I’ll be seriously five minutes. I’m getting a boot. Don’t leave, James.”
“Not me. I’m not going anywhere.”

No comments:

Post a Comment