Wednesday, September 9, 2009

June 2008

June 2008

It was four days after the crushing loss to the Red Wings. Sidney was still not over it, and wouldn’t be for a while. It would be something that would motivate him throughout his career until he avenged it.

I’d spent a lot of time with him lately. He cried in my arms as he finished his interviews, and it seemed to me he held on longer than he would have normally. Something was different with him for the past few months, but I hadn’t put my finger on it. Crazy Amos.

I was driving back from Stacey’s, after an exhausting day of baby-sitting little Paige, who would soon become a big sister in November, when my phone rang. I looked at it, and my breath hitched.

By the time I hung up, I was home. I sank onto the couch and buried my face in my hands. Why had my heart raced when I heard that voice again?

Danny had called. He wanted to see me tomorrow and I had agreed. I wasn’t going for him, I was going for me. I had to finally tell him my side of the story, since he had refused to let me last time. If the same occurred this time, I was leaving.

The day of

I met Danny at the park. He was sitting on a bench with his head down.
“Hello.”
“Hey,” he said, rising to greet me. He kissed my cheek and I sat down beside him.
“I have a lot to apologize for.”
“And I have a lot to say that you didn’t let me say because your head was so far up your ass.”
He winced. “I’m sorry. That’s one of the things I have to apologize for.”
I nodded.
“Anna, I was such a fucking asshole. You don’t know how awful I’ve felt about it the past few months. I was so deliriously in love with you, so enraptured by you, that when I thought you were unfaithful, I just went crazy. The thought of you with anyone else broke me down completely. I couldn’t bear the thought. I guess what I’m saying is I’m selfish. Now that we’ve been apart, I’ve realized how amazing you are, how much I miss the person you are, and the person I was when I’m with you. I don’t want to share you. Anna, please. I need you back. I love you more than I’ve ever realized. I promise I will be better. I’ll change.”
His eyes glimmered with tears, and I felt my own well up as well, as I reached for him.
“Dan…..”

3 comments:

  1. I love this story, read all the chapters in one sitting, and I am so glad that you are back, also...yay! Can't wait for more...you rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need an ending! i cant have such an awesome little story hanging!
    amazingness, post soon, PLEASE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story so far!! I hope that Sid didn't wait too long to tell her how he felt!!!

    ReplyDelete